In addition to the six spacious cottages, there are three honeymoon cottages and a private house. Two of the honeymoon cottages feature a main double bedroom, an en-suite bathroom, a private deck and a fabulous outdoor bath. The third honeymoon cottage is a large three-level luxury suite with main double bedroom, bathroom, open sitting room and a private deck. The private house is a stylish and exclusive hideaway set slightly apart from the main lodge. It features a double en-suite master bedroom with bath and an outdoor shower, and a twin en-suite bedroom with shower. It also has a large private living and dining area, leading seamlessly into a private garden and a private swimming pool.
Meru National Park is one of the most beautiful in Africa, and apart from being home to plentiful lion, cheetah, leopard, elephant and rhino, it is known for its diversity of habitat and wildlife, including the rare and beautiful lesser Kudu. The guides know every stunning corner, from the palm fringed springs, to the sandy beaches of the Tana River. A birders paradise, Meru boasts over 400 species, as well surprising botanical treasures including the giant baobab tree and rare paper bark Albitzia. The guides know the territory of the Meru lions and leopards, but also in a habitat so diverse, they know the medicinal properties of the unusual plants, are keen birders, and can even show you the home of the tiny naked mole rat! The National Park also incorporates a huge rhino sanctuary, home to over seventy white and black rhinos, making Meru one of the best areas in Kenya to see rhinos in their natural habitat.
Elsa’s Kopje is renowned for its delicious cuisine. With sumptuous fresh salads and pastas for lunch, combining North Italian recipes with more unusual dishes (such as crispy Tempura Vegetables, Aubergine, Feta and Tomato Stacks with Parmesan ‘Snaps’ and Danish Layer Cake), meals here are simply heaven… Using fresh salads and herbs from its own garden, and serving homemade bread freshly baked in the camp’s own traditional outdoor pizza oven, you will feel absolutely spoiled. At Elsa’s Kopje, you eat on your own individual tables (unlike some safari camps which offer communal dining). Dinner is almost always outside, with candlelit tables laid out under the stars. Private romantic dinners can also be arranged.
AT A GLANCE
- 6 spacious cottages all en-suite (3 with private decks and 3 with private sitting room)
- 2 honeymoon cottages both en-suite doubles with private decks and an outside bath
- 1 honeymoon cottage on three levels with a private sitting area, en-suite double and private deck
- 1 private house comprising an en-suite double with dressing room, an en-suite twin, a large dining and sitting room, a private garden and infinity pool
- Swimming pool
- Safari shop
- Exceptional wildlife diversity includes rare species specific to northern Kenya, such as Grevy’s zebra, gerenuk, lesser kudu, Somali ostrich, reticulated giraffe, Beisa Oryx; over 450 bird species, as well as buffalo, elephant, lion, leopard, cheetah, hyena, rhino to name a few
- Big Five (lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo and rhino)
- Twice daily game drives
- Guided bush walks
- Day excursions to Tana River and Kora National Reserve
- Visits to Rhino Sanctuary
- Line fishing
- All Inclusive: 3 meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beer, safari activities, laundry
- Wi-Fi internet access in guest areas
- Electricity: Runs on solar power and generator
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- 2017 – ECOTOURISM KENYA ‘GOLD ECO-RATING CERTIFICATION'
- 2016 – LISTED AT #12 ‘BEST SAFARI LODGES & CAMPS: READERS CHOICE AWARDS'