below the camp. Relax with a good book in the library, cool off in the pool or for an extra special treat, pamper yourself with a treatment in the mini-spa.
The Masai Mara Reserve is legendary for its abundance of wildlife. Fabulous for seeing big cats, their prey and all of the Big Five year-round, the Mara is also the stage for the greatest show on Earth - the wildebeest migration. From around July to October millions of grunting wildebeest and zebra cover the plains, often crossing the Mara River and moving between Tanzania and Kenya, closely followed by crocodile, lion and cheetah. Key wildlife include lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, hippo, huge crocodiles, giraffe, zebra, cheetah, impala and wildebeest just to name a few.
At Olonana, game viewing starts from the camp. A pod of hippos live permanently in the river just below camp and many other species come to drink there. Highly experienced guides take you to all the hidden spots in customized open safari vehicles that allow for excellent photography opportunities. The Mara’s rich eco-system includes acacia-studded savannah, riparian forest and woodland which attract more than 300 bird species and a stunning variety of animal life all year round.
Consider treating yourself to hot air balloon safari. Your balloon is inflated against the first rays of sunrise and once aloft floats gently over the plains and the plethora of game. After about one hour the balloon lands and nearby, breakfast is already being prepared. The smells of bacon, sausages and eggs drift on the breeze as you begin breakfast with platefuls of Kenyan fruits and pastries and, of course, glasses of bubbly to toast your flight.
A typical day sees breakfast served before the morning game activity. During your morning game viewing activity, coffee, tea and a selection of scones and biscuits will be served out in the bush. Lunch will be enjoyed back at the camp. Afternoon tea is served just before the afternoon game activity and offers a selection of cakes, sweet and savory treats, tea, and coffee and fresh fruit juices. Afternoon and evening game drives include classic sundowner cocktails and canapés at specially selected spots before returning to the camp for pre-dinner drinks and dinner.
Sundowners at Olonana are exceptional. As the afternoon game drive comes to an end, drive to a specially chosen vantage point overlooking the Mara plains. Drinks are served as you take in the beauty of the rapid sunset coloring the acacia dotted plains and transforming the world in a matter of minutes. Enjoy the warmth of the fire and discuss the day's adventures as waiters serve canapés and a selection of drinks, with the spectacular setting sun in the horizon.
Options abound – how about a bush dinner? A private and secluded clearing is prepared for an elegant dinner in the middle of the African bush. As the sun swiftly sinks, the setting is illuminated by a magnificent log fire. The table setting is as sophisticated and elegant as found in the finest restaurants with wild flower arrangements that grace starched white table linen. Candles flicker in the darkness, throwing golden lights on the table cloth as smiling waiters serve a delicious dinner. After dinner retire to the warmth of the campfire where brandies and liqueurs are served as you absorb the peace and beauty of an African night.
AT A GLANCE
- 14 luxury tents with two four-poster beds and mosquito netting
- All tents feature private verandas overlooking the river
- En-suite bathrooms with indoor shower and double vanity
- 2 large honeymoon suites which include an outdoor shower
- Swimming pool
- Wildlife viewing directly from the lodge
- Located in a private concession bordering the epic Masai Mara
- Easy access to the Great Wildebeest Migration
- Wildlife includes lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, hippo, massive crocodiles, giraffe, zebra, cheetah, impala, wildebeest and more
- Early morning and late afternoon into evening game drives in open 4x4 safari vehicles
- Bush walks
- Village and local school visits
- Hot air balloon safari at an additional cost
- All Inclusive: 3 meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beer, safari activities, laundry
- Wi-Fi in main areas and all rooms
- Electricity supplied by silent packed generator and battery system