own guest sitting and dining areas, as well as viewing decks. The domed dining room, with its fireplace, crystal, silver and massive wooden platters, turns every meal into a special occasion.
Once a gigantic volcano, the Ngorongoro Crater in northern Tanzania is now the largest intact caldera in the world. Some maintain that, before it erupted, it would have been higher than Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest peak in Africa. Today, long since having collapsed and eroded, it is an extensive highland area with the famous 2,000 foot deep crater as its focal point. Nearly three million years old, the ancient caldera shelters one of the most beautiful wildlife havens on earth. Endangered black rhino are protected within its rim, giant tusked elephant wander the forests, black-maned lion stalk the grasslands and long-legged flamingo crowd the soda lakes. An estimated 25,000 large mammals are resident in this bowl of plenty, including a population of approximately 6,000 resident wildebeest, sixteen rare black rhino and around seventy lion. Cheetah move in and out of the crater, while leopard are most often encountered in the spectacular Lerai Forest.
Consistently recognized as one of the world’s most luxurious and elegant places to stay, Ngorongoro Crater Lodge is situated right on the edge of the crater, offering unbeatable views of one of the natural wonders of the world.
A Day at Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
As the dawn begins to tinge the morning sky, a soft knock on the door announces your butler with a wake-up call and a fragrant cup of tea or coffee. An air of anticipation for the day ahead hangs over the breakfast table as the morning meal is served. Then discuss your hopes for the day's wildlife viewing with our guide as a winding road takes us through the thick forests on the Crater's rim. With tens of thousands of animals inhabiting the Crater floor, game drives are likely to produce some exceptional sightings and perhaps even the entire Big Five in one day!
We will stop at one of the designated picnic sites on the Crater floor for a delicious packed lunch. Surrounded by some of Africa's most iconic scenery as well as masses of wildlife, the appetite is sharpened and the taste buds awakened. After lunch we continue our wildlife adventure returning to the lodge in the early afternoon or we can opt for a shorter drive and return to the lodge for lunch. Back at the lodge indulge in a decadent afternoon tea or a sundowner cocktail as you watch the play of light on the breathtaking Crater views from the comfort of your private suite.
Dinner - mouthwatering tastes and delicate textures do their best to distract you from the splendor of the lodge's dining room. Magnificent designs delight the eye, while fragrances and flavors tempt the palate.
AT A GLANCE
- 3 intimate camps (two of 12 suites and one of 6 suites)
- Fireplaces in each suite
- Private butler service
- Decadent dining rooms
- Safari shop celebrates local crafts
- Situated on the rim of the beautiful Ngorongoro Crater
- Spectacular Crater views from everywhere in the suites, including the bathroom
- Ornate architecture
- Rich wildlife experience on the Crater floor
- Experience Maasai and cattle living among the wildlife
- Fresh springs and large soda lake within the Crater
- Seasonal sightings of flamingo on the soda lake
- Black rhino and magnificently tusked elephants
- High concentration of predators
- Exceptional birding, including endemic high altitude species
- Wildflowers in bloom on Crater floor from May to June
- Game drives on Crater floor
- Walks within the lodge grounds
- Crater floor banquets at additional cost
- Day trips to Olduvai Gorge and Shifting Sands at additional cost
- Choice of three walking safaris, ranging from a few hours to full-day experiences at additional cost
- In-room massages
- All Inclusive: 3 meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beer, safari activities, laundry
- Wi-Fi internet access in guest areas and suites
- 220v AC power
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- 2015 - WINS TANZANIA’S LEADING SAFARI LODGE AT THE 2015 WORLD TRAVEL AWARDS (AFRICA & INDIAN OCEAN)
- 2015 - #11 AMONG THE TOP 30 RESORTS IN AFRICA AT THE CONDÉ NAST TRAVELER (US) READERS’ CHOICE AWARDS
- 2015 - FEATURED AS ONE OF THE DAILY TELEGRAPH’S BEST 50 HONEYMOON HOTELS