and romance. Relax under the dark velvet night sky and sample hearty cuisine served on sparkling crystal and silver that reflects the twinkling light of millions of shining stars. Cluster around a roaring campfire to share stories of the day’s magic and listen to the African night come alive.
Over two million animals participate in the Great Migration, with some 500,000 zebra moving ahead of and 200,000 Thomson’s gazelle coming behind the main players – one and a half million wildebeest. Carefully planned according to the projected movements of the Great Migration, Serengeti Under Canvas aims to bring you within comfortable driving distance of the herds. However, the wildebeest masses move with the rains, which may occur at a different time each year, so it is not always possible to accurately predict where they will be. Expert guides will always try to place you in the midst of the thronging wildebeest but, should the animals not appear when expected, the guides’ intimate knowledge of the ample resident game will ensure a rich game viewing experience.
At Serengeti Under Canvas the days are designed to thrill you with intimate wildlife experience and the nights to spoil you with the romance of canvas under open African skies. As dawn breaks over the Serengeti, the deep voice of your butler delivers a wake-up call at your tent. A tray of tea, coffee and homemade biscuits will be waiting outside your tent. Climb into an open 4x4 safari vehicle with our guide and set off in search of the massed herds of the Great Migration. If the herds have already moved on into Kenya, our guide will introduce us to the rich resident wildlife.
After a morning spent tracking down wildlife, return to the camp for a hearty bush breakfast. Feast on platters laden with toast, jams and marmalades, homemade muesli, fresh fruits and assorted cheeses. Hot breakfasts are prepared on the open fire, with eggs, omelets, frittatas and freshly cooked pot breads. Then indulge in a steaming hot bucket shower or maybe a quick nap before lunch. Inviting lunch platters are served in the cool shade of the dining tent.
While away the afternoon hours with a good book and a chilled glass of wine in the guest tent or simply watch the wonders of the bush directly from your tent's veranda. A selection of light snacks, will be served in the late afternoon before we depart on an afternoon game drive as the heat of the day starts to break. Keep an eye out for lion, leopard, hyena and jackal gearing up for their nocturnal hunts. As we arrive back at the camp, cocktails are served around a blazing fire. Dine under the stars on a delicious bush meal cooked on the open fire. After dinner, indulge in decadent desserts, served with tea, coffee or cognac. Stories from an adventurous day are shared around a glowing campfire. You will then be escorted back to your tent, where you will drift off to sleep amidst the sounds of the African bush.
AT A GLANCE
- Two camps with 9 luxurious en-suite safari tents each
- Hot bucket showers and flush toilets
- Private campsites
- Unbeatable bush dinners
- Well thought out private campsites that puts you in the best game viewing regions
- Campsites move five times a year, attempting to predict the movements of the Great Migration
- Opportunity to enjoy a privately guided Great Migration experience
- Some of East Africa’s most comfortable game viewing vehicles
- Opportunity to customize their daily game viewing activities according to their interests
- Exceptionally well trained camp staff renowned for their warm hospitality
- Unusually large and spacious tents for the most luxurious under canvas experience in the Serengeti
- Indoor sitting area with day bed allows parents to share with children under the age of twelve
- His and hers outdoor bucket showers
- Crystal glassware
- Twice daily or all-day game drives
- Hot air ballooning available nearby almost year-round at additional charge
- Day trips to Olduvai Gorge and Shifting Sands when camps are located at Ndutu
- All Inclusive: 3 meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beer, safari activities, laundry
- 220v AC in vehicle; generator can be arranged for guests with special medical requirements
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- 2015 - #19 IN THE TOP 30 RESORTS IN AFRICA AT THE CONDÉ NAST TRAVELER (US) READERS’ CHOICE AWARDS
- 2015 - NAMED ONE OF THE FIVE BEST LUXURY CAMPS FOR WITNESSING THE WILDEBEEST MIGRATION BY THE GENTLEMAN’S JOURNAL
- 2014 - AWARDED A TRIPADVISOR CERTIFICATE OF EXCELLENCE