and the pavilions’ private decks, mean you won’t miss a sight. The peaceful dining area, lounge, deck and small library all feature a chic, contemporary African design with a traditional thatched roof. This main area is raised on stilts allowing a wide view of the grasslands of the Tarangire right in front of the camp and the stunning infinity pool is the perfect place to sip a cocktail and cool down after a day of game viewing. But the star attraction must be the waterhole a few hundred yards from the dining tent – and within sight of your private terrace. Waterbucks, lions, the odd leopard and numerous elephants regularly drop in for a quick drink. Join them with a sundowner.
Tarangire is famed for its large concentrations of elephant and spectacular baobabs of every shape and color. The river is the park's lifeline and attracts much of the game to its banks. You may also find some of the many leopard that rest by day in the shady trees. The park is also home to kudu with their immense spiral horns and oryx with their equally lengthy rapier horns. These shy, show-stopping antelope are common in Tarangire where your expert guides in customized vehicles will get you very close to the herds of elephant and myriad of other animals including predators, without even disturbing them.
Swala is one of only a few camps within Tanzania’s Northern Park that is able to offer walking safaris. Put on your walking shoes and experience beautiful Tarangire from a different perspective with a walking safari. With a professional walking guide and armed ranger, you can explore the grassland around camp in one of the most secluded areas of the park. Consider the wonders of a safari at night in Tarangire - as dusk falls, relax in the comfort of your customized safari vehicle as you venture into the park transformed by night. Search for nocturnal animals rarely seen as this is one of the few places in northern Tanzania where you can enjoy a safari by moonlight. At night, you may encounter an African wild cat, the elusive leopard or feel the round eyes of a bush baby. With specialized lighting, you will be able to look for lion and hyena, as well as smaller creatures such as spotted genet, serval, bat eared foxes, owls and nightjars.
Scrumptious meals served at Swala are enjoyed on the main dining deck. A full English and continental breakfast is served before your morning game viewing activity. Lunch can be enjoyed back in camp where the menu might include your favorite pizza made in a special pizza oven; or alternatively a picnic basket can be arranged should you wish to stay longer in the park. There have numerous favorite spots to go to for a quiet lunch in the bush or for special sundowners - toasting to the end of yet another beautiful day in Africa.
As evening sets in, enjoy drinks and canapés around the camp fire followed by a three course plated dinner as you discuss the great game viewing and events of the day. The camp's signature dish - and a definite favorite - is a mouth-watering dessert called "Chocolate Kilimanjaro." It resembles the white snow-capped peaks of Mount Kilimanjaro and simply melts in your mouth - but don't take our word for it, try it for yourself when you visit this very special camp. If you are celebrating a special occasion how about a private dinner under the stars on your tent deck?
AT A GLANCE
- 12 luxury tents with king or twin beds, campaign chairs, plush sofas, a private deck and a personal attendant for your every need
- En-suite bathrooms with indoor and outdoor showers
- Infinity swimming pool overlooking a water hole frequented by game
- Fantastic game viewing year round
- Located in an exclusive pocket of Tarangire National Park
- Wildlife includes lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, cheetah, giraffe, zebra, brown and spotted hyena, kudu, wildebeest, eland, wild dog, fringe eared Oryx and more
- Early morning and afternoon game drives in open 4x4 safari vehicles
- Walking safaris available at additional cost
- Night game drives available at an additional cost
- All Inclusive: 3 meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beer, safari activities, laundry
- Wi-Fi in main areas and tents
- Electricity supplied by silent packed generator and battery system