for families and dinner guests) which converts easily and attractively into a second bedroom for families, an inter-leading bathroom with indoor shower, indoor loo, his and hers washbasins and bath all with stunning views. These three rooms all open onto a massive deck with private dining facilities, more lounge furniture, private pool and gazebo with outdoor shower and private fireplace.
A stunning thatched lounge/bar area with upper and lower viewing decks and lots of comfy furniture is complemented by a similarly styled dining room with al-fresco dining area, set under a large winter thorn tree and overlooking the Zambezi River. Other amenities include a magnificent swimming pool with shaded sun deck for the hot months, a small but well equipped "fitness shack”, a viewing deck overlooking a flood plain dotted with wildlife, two viewing hides, and a small gift shop.
An unmatched variety of safari activities in any combination, led in safety and comfort by the Best in Africa award winning guiding team, is available at Chiawa Camp. Day game drives are conducted in custom, open 4x4 safari vehicles which is the best way to see as many animals as possible, close up. After “sundowners” night game drives are conducted to find nocturnal and crepuscular wildlife using a unique system of red filtered lights to minimize the disturbance of both predator and prey, and opaque filtered lights for natural looking photographs.
Armed guides can take you on bush walks, essentially a micro safari emphasizing spoor, ecology and bush lore but where often the larger mammals are encountered. Walking safaris were pioneered in Zambia and the Lower Zambezi is one of the best places to do these. One can also explore the Zambezi River and its islands by boat, with awesome opportunities for photographing birds, elephant, hippo and croc abound, and the sunsets are to die for. Or try your hand at fishing (catch & release, artificial lures only) for the “striped river dog” or tigerfish, considered to be the planet’s finest freshwater angling fish due to its aggression and propensity to leap into the air whilst chewing up the hardiest of fishing tackle. Conservation efforts and angling methods have ensured that this stretch of the Zambezi River remains one of the best places in Africa for fishing.
Canoeing safaris were founded on the Lower Zambezi. Tranquil yet exciting, close up viewing of fauna and riverine flora in near silence is one of Africa’s bucket list experiences. Drift down legendary waterways such as Waterbuck Island, Chifungulu Island and the Discovery Channel comfortable in the knowledge that you are in the hands of some of Africa’s best and most experienced river guides.
Chiawa is renowned for its excellent cuisine and depending on time of the year and the day’s activities, breakfasts, brunches and lunches are served plated, or hot and cold buffet style, usually al-fresco, sometimes in the bush, and even on a boat in the middle of the Zambezi! Afternoon tea with sweet and savory snacks are usually served overlooking the river just before afternoon safari activities. Dinners are multiple courses and usually served under the stars or by the camp fire.
AT A GLANCE
- 9 Luxury tents on raised wooden platforms
- Each tent is en-suite with a super king size bed, ball and claw bath, his and hers washbasins with views of the Zambezi, indoor and outdoor showers
- All tents feature Wi-Fi
- The shady central dining area, lounge and bar offer great game viewing opportunities overlooking a waterhole
- Prime location on the banks of the Zambezi River within the Lower Zambezi National Park
- Day and night game drives
- Bush walks
- Canoe trips and river safaris on pontoon boats
- Catch and release fishing
- 2 viewing hides
- Small but well equipped ‘fitness shack
- Gorgeous swimming pool with shaded sun deck
- Safari shop
- All Inclusive: 3 meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beer, safari activities, laundry
- 220v AC power
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST SAFARI EXPERIENCE IN AFRICA’ HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST SAFARI GUIDING TEAM IN AFRICA’ RUNNER UP
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST LOCATION IN AFRICA’ HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST VALUE SAFARI PROPERTY IN ZAMBIA’ HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST SAFARI CUISINE IN ZAMBIA’ HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST DESIGN IN ZAMBIA’ THIRD PLACE
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST ECOLOGICALLY RESPONSIBLE IN ZAMBIA’ WINNER
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘MOST ROMANTIC SAFARI PROPERTY IN ZAMBIA’ WINNER
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST COMMUNITY FOCUSED IN ZAMBIA’ RUNNER UP
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST SAFARI GUIDING TEAM IN ZAMBIA’ WINNER
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST LOCATION IN ZAMBIA’ RUNNER UP