under thatch, ensuring maximum coolness in the heat of the day and feature ceiling fans and charging points. Each has a large shaded outdoor bathroom with hot and cold running water, shower, toilet, vanity unit and dressing area with a wardrobe and full-length mirror. The tents also have their own private verandahs overlooking the river, making them an ideal place for relaxation and contemplation of Africa's wonderful wilderness.
Chongwe's outdoor, communal dining area is at the heart of the camp. Set overlooking the beautiful Chongwe and Zambezi rivers with the escarpment providing a dramatic back drop, the view is truly stunning. A team of experienced Chefs prepare a wide variety of delicious meals using fresh and locally sourced ingredients.
In addition to the classic tents, Chongwe River Camp offers two luxury self-contained colonial style suites. Both have butler service, plunge pools and private dining option. Cassia consists of a canopied lounge and dining area with huge octagonal bedroom perfect for honeymooners or romantic couples. Set beneath its own tented canopy, the outside bathroom features a ball and claw bathtub and an intimate rainfall-style shower. Albida sleeps four in two spacious octagonal bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms set on either side of a private dining room and lounge area with its own bar fridge, plunge pool and fire pit. It is ideal for families or friends travelling together.
At Chongwe River Camp, activities are tailored to make the most of this incredibly diverse wilderness. Game viewing can be done from a vehicle in either the Lower Zambezi National Park or the Chiawa Partnership Park or, if you prefer, from a boat on the Zambezi. Canoeing, walking and, of course, fishing, are also offered. And for those interested in the rich cultural heritage of the area, community visits can be arranged.
AT A GLANCE
- 9 classic en-suite Meru style tents with private verandah. Each has a large, shaded outdoor bathroom with hot and cold running water, shower, toilet, vanity unit and dressing area with a wardrobe and full-length mirror
- 2 luxury suites that feature either a king-sized or two single beds with crisp, percale cotton linen, plush throws and an overhead fan. Outside bathrooms, laid out beneath their own tented canopy, have twin vanity units, shower, ball and claw bath and toilet. Both suite has its own butler and meals can be taken either in private in the suites dining area or at the main camp. Your dedicated butler attend to your every wish. Each suite also has its own private pool.
- Swimming pool
- Located on the confluence of the mighty Zambezi and Chongwe River, which forms the western boundary of the Lower Zambezi National Park
- More than 60 different mammal species
- Superb birdwatching with over 400 species of birds recorded
- Game drives (day and night); birdwatching
- Walking safaris, boat cruises, fishing and canoeing
- All Inclusive: 3 meals daily, standard bar drinks and house wines, all game activities and laundry
- Generator and solar power for lighting, battery charging facilities and hot water
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- 2015 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST SAFARI HOUSE IN AFRICA’ RUNNER UP
- 2014 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST SAFARI HOUSE IN AFRICA’ HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
- 2014 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘Best Value Safari Property, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
- 2013 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST SAFARI HOUSE IN AFRICA’ WINNER
- 2011 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST SAFARI HOUSE IN AFRICA’ WINNER
- 2010 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST SAFARI HOUSE IN AFRICA’ RUNNER UP
- 2010 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST SAFARI PROPERTY IN EAST AFRICA’ FINALIST