facilities include indoor flush loo and wash basin, an outdoor shower and "splash tub" which is a giant bath for two or in the hotter months providing a cooling wallow. Elephants have been known to drink from the bath whilst guests have been cooling off! Water is heated by solar. Each chalet also includes a huge shaded private deck complete with comfy daybeds for relaxation with the very best of views - watch the elephants pass only yards from the chalets.
Old Mondoro offers some of the finest simple bush cuisine with a variety of unique dining locations both at the camp as well as surprise bush locations. Enjoy braais (barbecues) under the stars on the banks of the Zambezi River. Brunch, perhaps at a surprise location in the bush, dinner and drinks served under the stars by the campfire. Meals are fresh, innovative, and always a delight.
An unmatched variety of safari activities in any combination, led in safety and comfort by the Best in Africa award winning guiding team, is available at Old Mondoro. Day game drives are conducted in custom, open 4x4 safari vehicles which is the best way to see as many animals as possible, close up. After “sundowners” night game drives are conducted to find nocturnal and crepuscular wildlife using a unique system of red filtered lights to minimize the disturbance of both predator and prey, and opaque filtered lights for natural looking photographs.
Armed guides can take you on bush walks, essentially a micro safari emphasizing spoor, ecology and bush lore but where often the larger mammals are encountered. Walking safaris were pioneered in Zambia and the Lower Zambezi is one of the best places to do these. One can also explore the Zambezi River and its islands by boat, with awesome opportunities for photographing birds, elephant, hippo and croc abound, and the sunsets are to die for. Or try your hand at fishing (catch & release, artificial lures only) for the “striped river dog” or tigerfish, considered to be the planet’s finest freshwater angling fish due to its aggression and propensity to leap into the air whilst chewing up the hardiest of fishing tackle. Conservation efforts and angling methods have ensured that this stretch of the Zambezi River remains one of the best places in Africa for fishing.
Canoeing safaris were founded on the Lower Zambezi. Tranquil yet exciting, close up viewing of fauna and riverine flora in near silence is one of Africa’s bucket list experiences. Drift down legendary waterways such as Waterbuck Island, Chifungulu Island and the Discovery Channel comfortable in the knowledge that you are in the hands of some of Africa’s best and most experienced river guides.
AT A GLANCE
- 4 upmarket bush chalets with all the comforts for the safari aficionado who wishes to be truly immersed in the bush. Chalet 1 looks directly over the Zambezi and is closest to the social area of camp. Chalet 2 looks over the Zambezi and the mouth of the Old Mondoro lagoon. Chalets 3 & 4 look over the lagoon with quartering further views of the Zambezi. These two chalets generally see the most wildlife from their rooms as the lagoon attracts much wildlife however some guests prefer the rooms closer to the Zambezi. Others prefer these for the game.
- All chalets have spacious, shaded verandas, king size beds featuring Egyptian cotton linens.
- En-suite bathroom includes indoor loo and washbasin for convenient access; outdoor shower, outdoor “splash tub” for indulgent hot baths or, in the hot months, refreshing dips with fabulous views
- The shady central dining area, lounge and bar offer great game viewing opportunities; overlooking a waterhole
- Remote and perhaps the most scenic location far inside the Lower Zambezi National Park (a gorgeous one hour boat ride from Chiawa Camp)
- One of the most prolific leopard areas in Africa
- Day and night game drives
- Bush walks
- Canoe trips and river safaris on pontoon boats
- Catch and release fishing
- All Inclusive: 3 meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beer, safari activities, laundry
- 220v AC power
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST VALUE SAFARI PROPERTY IN AFRICA’ WINNER
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST VALUE SAFARI PROPERTY IN ZAMBIA’ WINNER
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST ECOLOGICALLY RESPONSIBLE IN ZAMBIA’ THIRD PLACE
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST WALKING SAFARI IN ZAMBIA’ RUNNER UP
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘MOST ROMANTIC SAFARI PROPERTY IN ZAMBIA’ THIRD PLACE
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST SAFARI GUIDING TEAM IN ZAMBIA’ THIRD PLACE